The Danish Technological Institute is accredited by the national accreditation body in Denmark (DANAK) to investigate and identify unknown material by SEM-EDX and FT-IR. Our analysis services have a quality that is typically approved by the FDA in auditing of production companies.
Identification of particulate contaminants
Contaminating particles in a production line can appear without notice, resulting in a costly stop in activities. Our specialists and analytical laboratories are standing by to quickly help you identify the material, so the source can be determined and production continued. I many instances, it's beneficial to also analyse material from suspected sources, in order to determine a possible match.
How can we assist you?
We can identify materials and contaminants, for example polymers, glass, rubbers, oils, metals and alloys. We can analyze materials and particles down to a few micrometers in size, and we can analyze both organic and inorganic material. Typically an investigation involves SEM-EDX and FT-IR, but we also analyze by methods such as XPS, XRD, TOF-SIMS and refractive index measurements.
Example - identification of particulate contaminants
The images below show examples of particulate contaminants that can be found in and on materials or products. Their sources can vary endlessly - metals, glasses, polymers, rubbers and organic matter. A proper identification of a foreign material will help to determine the source - and prevent it from contaminating in the future.
Our instruments for analysis and identification of material
- Three scanning electron microscopes (SEM-EDX, FIB-SEM) from Zeiss. All SEM microscopes are equipped with facilities for X-ray analysis (X-ray spectroscopy) from Oxford Instruments.
- Infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR)
- X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS)
- X-ray microtomography for 3D materials analysis (µCT / microCT)
- X-ray powder diffraction for analysis of crystalline materials (PXRD)
- Time-of-flight secondary ion mass spectrometry (TOF-SIMS)
- Gas chromatography combined with mass spectrometry (GC-MS)
- Refractive index measurement (GRIM3)
Short delivery time
We can offer short delivery times for identification of foreign materials and contaminants. We can often deliver results the same day we receive your sample.
If you are in need to analyze a material, please reach out to Pia Wahlberg through the contact form, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at +45 7220 3301.