With the intensified focus on circular economy, development of bio-based materials and re-use of materials, there is an increasing interest in the construction and design of novel composite materials.
These can be based on wood or other natural plant fibers, where the fiber may be a waste stream from production such as wood mills or the agricultural industry. The technologies already known from the plastics industry may be modified to suit these new materials, while an increased marked demand from consumers gives further development incentive.
The Danish Technological Institute has experts specialized on biomass handling, processing and testing in the development of bio-based composite products. We have hands-on experience with a wide variety of procedures, methods and raw materials gained from collaboration with industrial partners as well as through national and international research projects and networks including FiberTies.
- Consultancy on the development of bio-based products
- Consultancy on converting an existing production towards "greener" materials
- Mechanical processing of fibers
- Circulation loop for mixing and treatment of fibers with e.g. adhesives, fire retardants etc.
- Prototyping of hot pressed bio-based composite materials, including fiberboards
- Consultancy on development of bio-based materials for use in packaging, construction, interior decoration etc.
- Testing of mechanical properties of fiber boards
- Analysis of fibers and fibrous materials
- Participate as an active partner in research and development projects - national and international