An ATEX certification is a type examination of a machine or piece of equipment that has ATEX safety requirements - the type examination takes place in accordance with the ATEX directive 2014/34/EU, which in Denmark is called the interior design directive.
The certification means that a third party – a notified body – has assessed whether the machine or equipment meets the regulatory requirements of Directive 2014/34/EU - so safety is not left solely to the manufacturer. If you as a company fail to get a certification when required, you will be responsible in the event of accidents.
The following certificates must be issued by a notified body:
- EU Type Examination Certificate - Annex III
- EU Unit Verification / Certificate of conformity for the unit - Annex IX
- EU Component Certificate (U) (requires re-certification before installation)
- Productions Quality Assurance Notification - PQAN - Annex IV or VII.
How can the Danish Technological Institute help?
Certification & Inspection at Danish Technological Institute is an impartial and independent entity designated as Notified Body in Denmark for electrical and non-electrical equipment (Notified Body No. 396 and No. 1073 - ExNB). This means that we can issue ATEX certificates for material and equipment used in areas with a potentially explosive atmosphere (Ex-areas).
Our accreditation from DANAK ensures that only people who have deep insight about the ATEX requirements perform the certification.
This is required for the certification
The type examination / certification is carried out in accordance with the requirements of Annex III of the Directive 2014/34/EU. Documentation that enables assessment in accordance with the requirements must be submitted, i.e.:
- The manufacturer's name and address as well as information about production sites
- A description of the type and possibly model key
- ATEX marking
- Construction and manufacturing drawings as well as sketches of components, partial assemblies, circuits, etc. and possibly descriptions and explanations necessary for understanding said drawings and sketches
- List of standards that have been applied in whole or in part
- Risk assessment with description of selected solutions with regard to meeting requirements as well as results of construction calculations and investigations, etc.
- Possible test reports
- Instructions for use
- Declaration of conformity (presentation)
See also certification procedure, ATEX guideline, §89.
Productions Quality Assurance Notification - PQAN - Annex IV or VII, is issued in collaboration with Dancert (Notified Body no. 1073).
Contact us to learn more about how we can assist you with the right certification.