Highly efficient systems for energy reduction in industrial refrigeration plants with ammonia
Project start January 1st 2008. Project ended December 31st 2009.
Purpose of project
The purpose of the project is to reduce the energy consumption of industrial refrigeration and freezing units, that use the natural refrigerant Ammonia by removing the pressure drop in wet return from the flooded vaporators. The goal is to reduce the energy consumption with 10 % in comparison to exsisting systemt, which will correspond to saving 30 GWh a year. The project is directed towards the focus area; industrial refrigeration and freezing plants, since the project will ensure a low energy consumption and the technology can be used on exsisting plants.
The project will examine two systems, which will eliminate the pressure loss in the wet return from the vaporator to the pumpseperator, in order to increase the compressors suction (sugetryk???) corresponding to the pressure in the vaporator. This will improve the systems COP with up to 20%.
The project was divided into 8 phases:
- Theoretical accounting of applied vaporator usnits
- Dimonsioning of systems for reduction of pressure drop in wet return
- Construction of testing and measuring equipment
- Measurerings on systems with ejectors and pumps
- Calculation of new vaporation types
- Measurements on new vaporators and systems (ejectors and pumps)
- Selection of system for the respective vaporatortypes
- The Danish Technological Institute
- Alfa Laval
- Johnson Control
- Dybvad Stålindustri
- Körting Ag
The project was supported by ELFORSK.