Danish Technological Institute offers services of scanning electron microscopy (SEM-EDX) on concrete and related materials such as aggregates for concrete, cement, masonry, metals, fibers and much more.
Scanning electron microscopy is an important addition to optical microscopy on new, old and deteriorated concrete.
In quality assurance of concrete scanning electron microscopy gives important information about:
- Hydration of cement
- Distribution of hydration products
- Adhesion to aggregates
- Homogeneity of cement paste
In connection with forensic investigations on deteriorated concrete scanning electron microscopy provides valuable data about the cause of deterioration e.g.:
- Precipitation of secondary mineral phases and gels in pores, cracks and micro cavities
- Chemical composition of precipitates
- Chemical attack of concrete
- Source and deposition area for the mineral phases
Analyzing cement and clinkers scanning electron microscopy combined with EDX analysis plays a major role in:
- Identifying cement minerals and establish the composition
- Defining the relation between cement minerals
Scanning electron microscopy has a great potential in characterizing metals and alloys while performing metallurgical examination on:
- Metal constructions
- Metal fatigueness
Technological Institute has a wide expertise in dealing with problems associated with concrete, building materials and related materials such as natural building stones and additives for concrete.
We offer consultance in planning, optimization and execution of major constructional projects.