Nanobionic Freezing Point Depressing Surface – Innovations Consortium
Project start January 2008. Expected completion ultimo 2011.
Projektet er afsluttet.
Development of a new technology to solve the problem of unwanted ice formation is much sought after in the industrial sector. Unwanted ice formation will reduce the product’s functionality, increase energy levels and / or sink energy outputs and will necessitate expensive defrosting procedures. Therefore, a surface capable of reducing ice adhesion and / or removing unwanted ice formation possesses great potential. Nature, itself, by design creates organisms to solve even the hardiest problems, such as cold & ice. Insects can survive temperatures under -10 °C by using freeze-point depressing protein. Starting with these freeze-point depressing proteins we will research and develop a freeze-point depressing surface, the robustness and functionality of which can be demonstrated in windmill, ventilation and refrigeration branches
- Reduce energy consumption in the freezing process.
- Development of a coating material with freeze-point depressing characteristics
- Development of Nano particles with freeze-point depressing characteristics
- Increase energy production through reducing freeze risk.
- Gram Commercial A/S
- Gram Equipment A/S
- LuVe S.p.A.
- Mankiewicz Gebr. & Co.
- Nilan A/S
- Vestas Wind Systems A/S
- Roskilde University Centre
- iNano / Aarhus University
The project strategy is that of biomimetics with use of nano technology, biotechnology, information technology, chemistry and physics, thereby creating an industrial / research environment for development of biomimetic solutions for industry. Procuring research and development of tomorrow’s biomimetic materials.
Within the innovations consortium itself, there is a defined dual project line, running parallel with each other throughout:
- The research project, which is undertaken primarily by the universities, will be able to offer a picture of freeze-point depressing protein characteristics and functionality.
- The Technological project, which is primarily an collaboration with the universities, GTS and industry and will be able to transform and use knowledge of freeze point depressing proteins to a viable surface treatment technology.
Want to know more?