Project - How to purify high value components from production side stream
Project start July 2014. Project completion June 2016.
The world is faced with extensive challenges: growing population, rapid depletion of resources, increasing pressure on environment, and climate changes. As a consequence of the global increase in population the demand for food and feed is expected to grow by 70 % until 2050 (FAO). This will lead a large and constantly growing need for exploiting the natural resources optimally with a sustainable approach.
In this project we will develop methods to extract and test several components, among these soluble fiber and protein products, from the side stream of TripleA’ s current protein production.
The technological challenge is to purify the valuable components without damaging the rest of the material.
The project aims are:
- Identify the methodology for purifying the components in the side stream
- Characterize the purified products
- Make a market research of the purified components
- Make a profitability study on the exploitation of the side stream
This will form the basis for the decision on initiate production of one or more of the new products from exploitation of the side stream.
Benchmarks – Expected and/or achieved results
Choice and adjustment of analytical methods for characterization of the dissolvable protein and fiber fractions and minerals
- Development of purification methods for the dissolvable protein and fiber fractions and minerals
- Market analysis of dissolvable protein, dissolvable fiber, and mineral fraction
- Feasibility study
- The Danish Environmental Protection Agency
- Biochemistry and Bioprocessing, Department of Food Science, University of Copenhagen
- Triple A A/S
- Food Technology Life Science, Danish Technological Institute