Project - Pro-Enrich
Development of novel functional proteins and bioactive ingredients from rapeseed, olive, tomato and citrus fruit side streams for applications in food, cosmetics, pet food and adhesives.
Project start 1.st May 2018. Expected completion 31th. October 2021.
Pro-Enrich project will demonstrate a new business model for extracting high-value components from agricultural side streams, demonstrating technically and commercially feasibility for both small and large-scale bio-processing units.
The Pro-Enrich project will develop a flexible biorefinery approach able to processing a range of agricultural residues from rapeseed meal, olives, tomatoes and citrus fruit industries. This will help fulfil the growing global demand for alternative sources of protein and phenolic product streams.
Pro-Enrich take the process of fractionising biomass to a new level, identifying proteins, polyphenols, dietary fibres and pigments for use as food ingredients, pet food, cosmetics and adhesives.
The specific objectives of the Pro-Enrich project are to:
- Determine the components with the highest market potential from the four residue streams being investigated, as evaluated by the project industrial end user partners;
- Undertake a range of bio-refining processes that yield high quantities of high-purity functional proteins and bioactive components;
- Develop the biorefinery processes in pilot scale, advancing the best businesses cases to demonstration scale.
- Apply components isolated from the bio-refining into key market areas and demonstrate their fitness for purpose;
- Undertake a system analysis to make these processes technically and economically attractive;
- Undertake sustainability assessments of process alternatives to ensure that any new product ranges developed provide environmental benefits.
- Carry out a feasibility assessment of the Pro-Enrich business model.
- Emmelev AS - Denmark
- Tailorzyme APS - Denmark
- Agro Business Park AS - Denmark
- Bangor University - United Kingdom
- G. C. Hahn and Company Ltd - United Kingdom
- GEA - Germany
- Mars GMBH - Germany
- Innorenew - Slovenia
- Franka Marzi - Slovenia
- Vertech Group - France
- Natac Biotech SL - Spain
- Anecoop Sociedad Cooperativa - Spain
- Eurizon SL - Spain
- Olivar de Segura, S. Coop. And. - Spain
- Chimar Hellas AE - Greece
- Project coordinator Anne Christine Steenkjær Hastrup
- Scientific Manager Nikolaj From Petersen
- Adminstrative Manager Natanya Majbritt Louie Hansen
o Angelica Tamayo Tenorio
o Kasper Savskov Runager
The Pro-Enrich project aims to have the following impacts:
Create two new cross-sector interconnections in bio-based economy clusters;
- Introduce pressed olive pomace, olive mill waste water, rapeseed meal press cake and fruit and vegetables processing residues as valuable bio-refining resources;
- Develop protocols for producing four different ingredients with a purity levels enabling their use in foods, pet foods, cosmetics and adhesives;
- Define how to adapt modern bio-refineries to seasonal residues within the same processing unit, reducing downtime and increasing return on investment
- Apply a circular and cascading biorefinery approach to feedstocks that delivers a more environmentally and economically sustainable, including a reduction in carbon footprint over existing processes of at least 10 percent.