ATEX User Directive 1999/92/EU - Get help from our specialists
When you go to work, you should feel certain that your workplace is safe and that you do not risk injury - the user directive will ensure this.
Directive 1999/92/EC - also known as the application or user directive - aims to protect workers in environments and areas where there is a risk of explosive atmospheres in the form of flammable gas or dust. It is the company itself that’s responsible for finding out whether these dangers exist - and thereby whether the company is covered by the directive.
The directive sets specific requirements for the preparation of an Extended Workplace Assessment (U-APV), which is sometimes called an Explosion Protection Document. The content in this document typically covers:
- Mapping the risk of an explosive atmosphere
- Preparation of a zone classification
- Organization of the work and instruction of the employees in the risks that may occur
- Carrying out ATEX courses for relevant employees
In Denmark, it is the Danish Working Environment Authority that handles and controls the user directive - and they can issue fines and orders for an external working environment adviser if they find that things are not in order - or worst case, issue an immediate order to stop work. Insurance companies also look at the directive when assessing whether they want to insure a business.
How can the Danish Technological Institute help you?
Over many years, the Danish Technological Institute has gained extensive expertise in this field, and among other things, we can offer the following:
- Preparation of a zone classification plan
- Implementation of risk assessment for plants and installation
- Assessment of the applied explosion protection
- Preparation of the Extended Workplace Assessment (U-APV)
- Determination of Ex-data for gas and dust is offered, e.g.:
- flash point/ignition temperature
- upper (UEL) and lower (LEL) explosion levels
- Preparation of Ex-maintenance plans
- Training in Ex-safety
- Training of Ex-maintenance staff
- Training in connection with the Ex-protection principles
- Assessment of implemented ATEX-repairs and/or renovation
- Sparring in connection with implementation of the requirements
- Implementation of preliminary statutory ATEX inspection
- ATEX review in order to identify relevant initiatives in the company - and assess where it makes the best sense to invest.
With our in-depth knowledge and extensive technical experience, we have helped many companies implement the requirements of 1999/92/EC by preparing an ATEX-APV. We are also happy to help your company find the right solutions, so the ATEX requirements are met.
Please contact us for further information.