Are you a manufacturer of pressure tanks, piping units, or process plants? Then your products are subject to requirements from the European Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU - PED (Pressure Equipment Directive).
The directive has been introduced into Danish legislation by executive order no. 190, and it applies to the production and marketing of pressure equipment, which has an operating pressure of more than 0.5 bar.
What does the Pressure Equipment Directive cover?
- Containers - A wrapper designed to store fluid under pressure
- Pipe systems - Parts for piping systems, intended for transport of fluids
- Boiled or otherwise heated equipment for the production of steam or superheated water exceeding 110˚C
- Safety equipment - Devices for protection of pressure equipment against exceeding of permitted limits
- Pressure-bearing accessories - Operating devices with pressure-bearing casing
- Units - Several pieces of pressure equipment assembled by the manufacturer into a functional whole.
What does this mean to you?
According to legislation, all pressure equipment is divided into the categories I, II, III and IV.
- Equipment in categories I-IV must be CE marked.
- Category I equipment is approved by self-inspection and does not require the involvement of a notified body*
- Equipment in categories II, III and IV must be approved with the involvement of a notified body.
* Article 4 paragraph 3: Equipment which has an overpressure of more than 0,5 bar - but which does not enter category I - belongs to ‘Article 4 paragraph 3'. This equipment should be made following 'good craftsmanship' and must not be CE marked in accordance with PED.
How can the Danish Technological Institute help you?
At the Danish Technological Institute, we are accredited by DANAK and designated as notified body no. 0396 within PED certification.
PED certification of equipment in categories II, III and IV takes place in two stages – Construction inspection and Production inspection (manufacturing control).
We ensure that you get through the certification process of your product in a safe and well-informed manner. We make sure that you always know the status of the case processing and that you know what the next step in the process is. In case of delivery time, we consider your production flow, so you do not experience the certification as an obstacle in the production process.
At the Danish Technological Institute, we collaborate with Weldadvice concerning Production Inspection (manufacturing control).
In need of a course?
Do you or your employees lack insight into the rules of the Pressure Equipment Directive? We can offer a focused PED training course, where the teaching is based on your product and conveys the set of rules in a practical and understandable way.