The main objective of torrefaction is to concentrate the energy content in a biomass. Research shows that the basic properties of a biomass like wood can be changed through thermal treatment at app. 250-300°C without oxygen (torrefaction). The following can i.a. change:
- the biomass becomes brittle
- the energy density of the biomass increases
- the absorption of water is radically reduced
- the microbial break down of stored biomass is slowed down considerably
Together with 21 other European partners, Danish Technological Institute is currently participating in a project called SECTOR; the project deals with how pellets are made from heat-treated biomass.
- Knowledge of and tests with torrefaction of different types of biomass
- Participation in research projects about torrefaction